Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Necessary Voice

We all know, and I for one appreciate, the flamboyant activist of the National Action Network; the Reverend, Brother, Pastor Al Sharpton who has been on the front lines fighting for equality and justice within our communities for a long time. For what I think is an outstanding commitment, I want to say thank you to the Good Reverend for his dedication and socially conscience efforts to seek justice for the voices that would otherwise go unheard.

I read a column today written by one Dana Milbank where he said, “The Rev. Al Sharpton is lord of all he surveys.” I found that comment very interesting because that does not appear, to me, to be the Rev’s persona! Now, some may call him a leader or our leader – I beg to differ. I call him an advocate for right who is very necessary in this climate where racism still exist and bigotry has raised its ugly head in ways not seen in generations.

With regard to the article; I continued to read it while I enjoyed my first cup of coffee wondering if this writer or many people, particularly African American, understood the context of a term used in the piece – “power player”. I could have appreciated what may have been intended as a compliment, if he had said it in a different way or from a different perspective – like “speaks to power”. This would imply that the Rev challenges the wrongs of society.

For example, the Trayvon Martin assassination for instance. The main stream media paid no attention to this hideous crime for weeks. It was black media, and Reverend Al in particular, that caused the story to be brought to light for the nation then the world to see. Other than the NRA, any person with children should have felt compassion and want justice because next time it could be your child or you.

Nonetheless, this guy, who I enjoy, reading his work, went on to say that “everybody wants to be on Sharpton’s good side these days. Adding that …No fewer than five Cabinet officers and a senior White House official went to this year’s convention to kiss his ring.” I this think this is a bit cynical.

The article went on to say, “Sharpton has pulled off one of the rarest second acts in American public life: from pariah to power player.” I suppose he was referring to the Rev’s effective use of the media in the Martin case to rally so many people for justice – which was needed.

I will agree with the Good Reverend as he put it regarding justice for Trayvon:
“It was a huge moment, because it was the coming together of everything,” Sharpton said, with his trademark vainglory. “We had the attorney general here and one of the biggest civil rights cases of the 21st century, and having to do TV and radio shows at the same time, it was all combined for everybody to see.”
Mr. Milbank closed his piece by saying; “And this reborn pariah feels good.” I will close by saying; “the the Good Reverend puts his life on the line for the voiceless and stands up for the powerless.” Yes, that is a good thing and necessary!

Let us remember Trayvon, not just for the moment, nor forget the many others in situations where justice has been deferred –keep up the fight for right. And that’s my Thought Provoking Perspective.

No comments: