Tuesday, November 6, 2012

INTERVIEW: Stephanie Acon


Stephanie, describe yourself for our visitors.
Well, first of all, I’m a breakout author whom made the transition from being an underground hip-hop artist into authorship. I currently live in St. Louis which is where I’m from but will soon be making a move to New York. I have no children, however, I do love to work with young adults. In fact, my goal for writing is to reach my generation without the use of the dark music industry.
I believe that is a big part of my purpose; the reason why my life has been spared many times. Other than that, I would like to summarize myself up by saying this: Without me ever opening my mouth, people notice me whether I want them to or not. They tend to know I’m around. And when I do open up to actually speak, people quickly find out just who I really am…which is everything I could never really express with words.

How do you find time to connect with God?

To be honest, I don’t have to find time to connect with God. I’m always connecting with Him all day, every day. I talk to Him and pray all throughout my day. He is heavily involved in every part of my life. In fact, HE is my life.

Who are your favorite authors? Favorite books?

I don’t have specifics. My favorites are those who write (fiction or nonfiction) from the heart. I most admire those who bring a purpose to their stories. I’m always on the lookout for authors and books that come with that type of weight – or substance. They truly inspire me.

Tell us about your journey to publication.

Well, it started when I got laid off of my job. That brought the opportunity to write my first book. I completed the draft in a matter of weeks and from there I began the research necessary to send out the (non-edited) manuscript. However, I did not get the chance to do many submissions because the first publisher in which I was referred took an interest…and the meetings began. Still, after months of waiting, the publishing house could not make up its mind whether or not to sign another author (myself) on. So my pastor “agreed” with me according to Matthew 18:19. Upon the agreement/prayer, he told me that the publisher would basically sign me within two weeks. So for two weeks, I refused to worry about it. I just believed. Then, at the very end of those two weeks, the publishing company contacted with a contract. God really came through and that’s how I got published. True story.

Tell us about your current book?

Escape From A Nightmare is my current and breakout novel. It is a most-unique urban story based on premonitions, love loss, destiny, and faith. In the storyline, the star character, Gabriana, is a dreamer. She’s has daydreams of escaping the lonely torment of her everyday life, and then, there are the “other” dreams – the ones that come while sleeping – in the form of omens.

These messages threaten the life that Gabriana has planned for herself. They whisper the conflict of everything and this female is not trying to hear or see any of that, so she ignores the dreams and the premonitions – especially those about her boyfriend – and that is because she has exalted this dude. She puts him before and above everybody, including her family, friends, God, and even her sanity. She has made the ultimate sacrifice for love. And that turns out to be a fatal nightmare.

This book is definitely one which readers have a hard time putting down. It is full of twists and shock, and, each individual reader will find something personal to take out of it. Also, the ending is a mouth-dropper!
Readers will surely return to the, now available, sequel, Secret Sky. Both books are available on Amazon.com.

How did you come up with ideas for this book?
My ideas originated from my heart. A heart that wants to greatly influence my generation. I put the experiences and lessons and seeds that we (as an entire generation) deal with in each character and scene. The ideas poured out from within that cypher.

What valuable lessons do you want readers to learn from your book?
That life is journey into a destiny that you cannot run from. And, should you attempt to run, there are consequences for interrupting the balance.

What’s next for you?
New York Times Best Sellers’ List.

Where can readers find you online?
My website (Blackgirlcrossed) is currently under construction. In the meantime, readers are most welcomed to contact me on Facebook as Stephanie Nina Acon…and…Twitter @1queen1nina (Stephanie Acon)

http://johntwills.com

No comments: