Monday, September 30, 2013

A Mighty Soldier

12


Last week the world lost a mighty soldier with the passing Dr. Evelyn Lowery to which I offer my heartfelt sympathy to her husband, the great Joseph Lowery and family. Dr. Lowery fought the good fight until her last days on this earth and I thank you.

She fought hard for her people and mentored women everywhere. She was the epitome of what should be described as a strong black woman always by her husband’s side as he rose to become one of the great leaders of the civil rights movement.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution tells a story about how Mrs. Lowery only had one incident where she didn’t march beside her husband. In 1979, they were in Decatur, Alabama, protesting the conviction of Tommy Lee Hines, a disabled man who’d been accused of raping a white woman. Her husband felt that there would be danger, so he had his wife ride in a Buick behind the marchers.

The group was confronted by the KKK and shots were fired. The car was hit by two bullets and she barely got away. “I could hear them yelling ‘Kill ‘em all!’ she said. “It lasted probably about 10 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity.” The couple still keeps the Buick in their driveway as a reminder of the struggle that they fought in order to help secure the rights that black people have to this day.

“My beloved Evelyn was a special woman, whose life was committed to service, especially around the issues of empowering women,” Joseph Lowery said in a statement. “She was a wonderful mother and wife, and I thank God that she didn’t suffer any pain and that I was blessed having her as my partner, my confidant and my best friend for close to 70 years. I will miss her each and every day, but as a man of faith, I know that she is with her God.”

Evelyn and her husband were married on April 5, 1948.  So, that’s 65-years of marriage which will soon transform into an eternity. Mrs. Lowery died from a stroke this week at the age of 88. For all of you great work; I pray that your soul rest in peace. And that’s my thought provoking perspective…

No comments: